Thursday, March 18, 2010

March Madness Begins...

Today is the first day of the NCAA basketball tournament known as March Madness. 64 teams competing to find out who is the best PERIOD!! Its a great time to be a sports fan. People fill out brackets to win or lose money, in my case, lose. Which is why I didn't fill one out this year. I was lazy, had other things goin on & just didn't feel like doing it. Does that take away from my tourney experience?? Maybe, but I haven't noticed it being any different yet.
Next subject...
My sons baseball practice the other day... Well now, I don't know if I have the time to really touch on this subject, but I'll try.
I'm a competitive person, I love sports. I play & I watch. So for my son to be playing sports, its interesting to me. My dad wanted me to succeed & like any dad, I want my son to do the same. But he is only 4, ( 5 on May, 1st ). That being said, I know it is important for him to have fun playing, so that he WANTS to play. I don't want to be his coach. I'm too impatient for that, but at the same time I need to remember that, just sit back & let his coach do what he is doing. Which I am... I don't want to be one of those dads. But he is taking on a difficult task of teaching a bunch of little kids, who 95% of them, have never played baseball... how to play. My personal opinion on the first day of practice is this. He was trying to fit a lot of information into what little time he had. I could see my son trying to process all that was being said to him & trying to make it work. My son needs a little more one on one time, thats where I come in... at home. But overall, he had a blast, with exception to his first bloody nose, which came when a volunteer coach decided to lob hard baseballs way up in the air to a bunch of kids who can't even squeeze their baseball gloves. Good call!! Why not use whiffle balls or tennis balls, or even throwing them under hand?? Regardless, he took a ball to his face & nose started bleeding. But being the trooper that he is... got back on the horse & was out there trying it again. So, now that I know what he needs to work on, we'll do it at home, at our pace, with more one on one interaction. I think thats all I have to vent about for now... Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment